Making Progress

Aside from the silly emotions or lack there of, various projects have been going on. Last month we decided to clean out the green house. When it was moved it was placed haphazardly on its “foundation” and then filled with stuff. The green house is placed on an old cement pad that was once the floor of an old shed that burned down long ago. It’s the perfect place for it really, but the pad itself is much larger than the green house.

Green house before reposition.
Green house before reposition.

The roommate and I decided to pick up the green house and place it at the back and horizontally on the cement pad. We then relocated some of the outdoor seating on to the area we freed up on the cement pad, which is nice because I no longer have to move this furniture when I mow the grass. It also makes a nice seating area.

The green house repositioned with new seating area.
The green house repositioned with new seating area.

As I mentioned in a recent post there hasn’t been much done with the design of a new garden. Some effort was made, but I am not pleased with it. Anyhow, now that the weather is cooling off the concentration has shifted to the inside. The previous owner had painted most of the rooms neutral colors, but not very well as there are streaks on the ceilings and moldings. Suffice to say every room will be repainted, which has begun! The sitting room was the first and I decided to go with black.

The transformation has begun!
The transformation has begun!

This room receives a lot of light and with all the white trim and 12′ ceilings the room can handle black. The light fixture is original and once hung in the dining room. I rewired it because it had the original wiring that was frayed and exposed.

Bat Cat.
Bat Cat.

Miss Nora-Grace loves to help whenever there is a ladder standing about. The one thing that is frustrating is all the cutting in around the moldings. Ugh! However, it is all worth the effort in the end.

The furniture is back in place.
The furniture is back in place.

The black really makes a nice back drop for artwork. I decided to pull together most of the contemporary pieces I have to fill this room. I’m really enjoying it.

Artwork going up.
Artwork going up.

I had the gas line checked in the fireplace and it works, but unfortunately the old gas logs don’t. So we are in the process of finding new gas logs. They will be vent-free so there will be no need to have the chimney opened and cleaned, which is a good thing because I know a chimney sweep will say the entire chimney needs to be rebuilt. This is definitely not in the budget! Eventually I will have the dining room fireplace converted to vent-less gas logs, but all good things in time.

Speaking of the dining room, its transformation has begun. We decided to go with red again, but a different red from the last house. The colour is called “Candy Apple.” You may remember last year I had taken issue with Lowe’s making statements that Valspar’s matte paint is equivalent to flat paint. Trust me it is not. It has a sheen. Flat paint does not. I went back with forth with those… people over this fact. I prefer my paint to be a true flat finish. If it has a sheen you will get light reflection and therefore you won’t get the true colour. Who wants glare on their walls?

Candy Apple Red.
Candy Apple Red.
The red is slow going!
The red is slow going!

Unfortunately it’s going to take a lot of paint. So far there is almost 3 coats on all the walls. I should have  painted the walls with a tinted primer first, but even then I am not so sure it would require less paint.

The fireplace tiles were painted at one point, but I believe we are going to take a heat gun to it and scrape it off. There are some exposed tiles on the hearth and I think they could work with the room. If not I may consider placing new tile over the old.

Original fireplace tile work.
Original fireplace tile work.

As you can see they are quite colorful. They seem to be red, green, blue and white. The black is from the hearth being painted. I am assuming the upper half of the fireplace surround will be the same. I think it would be a good idea to strip all the paint to see what it will all look like before making any decision on new tile.

After the dining room is completed it will be time to move on to the master bedroom, which will be my mother’s room. She has chosen colors I would never use. Two shades of peach and not only peach for the walls, but she would like carpeting for the floor. Ugh! It’s her space so I will go along with it.

In other news I found this product that I must have. I would definitely use it at work or if I ever find myself in Walmart … having a moment.

My space!
My space!
Perfect for when I am covering the reference desk or simply at my desk.
Perfect for when I am at the reference desk or while sitting in my cubicle.

One thought on “Making Progress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s