It has been a long break from reality and it will be difficult returning to work this Monday after 12 days off, but such is this paradigm.
Tomorrow I shall begin the clean up and take down the holiday ornaments and put them away for another year, but at this moment the lights are on inside and out for one more night. This was my first Winter Solstice and Christmas in the new house. It was agreeable.
I ended up moving the tree from its original location. It was an event! The tree didn’t look right in front of the door to the hall. If I had used the old tree it probably would have worked because it is damn near 5′ wide at the base. Melissa and I removed the most fragile ornaments and then lifted the tree on to a plant coaster that has wheels. We then slowly moved the tree to its new location in front of a casement window near the fireplace. It looks much better there and we regained access to the hall door.
The painting of the dining room has been completed. It only took a little over five gallons of paint. Yes, five. I knew I should have primed it with grey primer, but I just jumped into it thinking I could get away with it. NEVER AGAIN! As of now I am trying to find the right type of fabric for curtains so the temporary curtains from the other house have gone up. I also rewired the chandelier and added extra chain length so it could hang lower. As well more artwork needs to go up, but regardless I truly enjoy the color and the feel of the room.
We had a couple warm days during the holidays and so I took the opportunity to start clearing out the overgrowth in the back garden. There is quite a bit more to be done, but I got a good start. I discovered two piles of old bricks under the brush, which I intend on using for the development of the garden in some fashion. I also discovered two azalea bushes that are the saddest things you have ever seen due to the lack of light. I also discovered a plant that I recognize, but don’t know the name, but it’s quite large. As well, I discovered a large and healthy gardenia bush. They should recover beautifully now that they have been exposed to more light.
I also removed part of the old privacy fence. Indeed it wasn’t difficult to do because it has rotted so badly. Eventually the fence will be replaced because I don’t like seeing into the neighbors poorly kept yards. This was one advantage of all the overgrowth, but the space is needed for the garden.
As of now I have not decided exactly where the placement of the chicken coop and beehives will be, but I do know this area is going to be planted with shade loving plants. One possibility is the chicken coop could be placed under the magnolia for shade and the connected run will come out into the open area somewhere for the sun and the beehives could be placed by the large gardenia bush I discovered. It seems that I come up with an idea and then a few days later it all changes so I am certain they will evolve again.
It was nice to be outside for a couple of days. I missed being in the garden or in my case working on developing one since I moved in to this house. My moodiness is directly connected to a lack of gardening. It was stressful destroying my previous garden and with all the activity of moving in this past May and having no time to put together a garden here at the new house… well, I am a little disconnected. However, I have a new palate. One that will not be disturbed again. The possibilities are endless and I am becoming excited to what this new year will be bring in the garden!